Here are some helpful tips to help you get started as an independent contractor:
- Make sure that the work you want to do follows the independent contractor IRS and state guidelines.
- Know the legal aspects of working as a contractor.
- When talking with prospective clients, highlight your assets and skills, and demonstrate how those meet their needs.
- Research similar types of work you do so you know the standard rate for your services.
- Get familiar with writing contracts and make sure you sign a contract with every client.
- Promote yourself via social media platforms.
- Get active in your local business community to meet prospective clients.
- Make new connections with people who may provide opportunities for you, otherwise known as networking.